- "I can't help it if I have dreams, and I can't help it if they prophesy greatness!"
Joseph was the son of Jacob and Rachel. His mother died after giving birth to Joseph's brother Benjamin was born. Joseph was his father's favorite son. Joseph was given a beautiful coat by his father. Joseph's older brothers became jealous of Joseph. One day, 9 of Joseph's brothers ambushed him, took his coat, tore his coat, and threatened to kill him. However Reuben, the oldest son of Jacob, said to just throw him in a well. Reuben planned on coming back later to get Joseph out of the well. While Reuben was gone Ishmaelite slave traders came and payed Judah, the fourth son of Jacob, 20 pieces of silver for Joseph. Afterwards Benjamin became Jacob's favorite child.
Joseph was then taken to Egypt and sold to Lord Potiphar, the captain of Pharaoh's Guard. After 3 years, Joseph became a well respected slave and was put in charge of all of the other slaves. Lady Potiphar tries to seduce Joseph, when Joseph declines she has him arrested for "rape". In one year he meets The Pharaoh's former baker and butler and interprets their dreams. After his interpretation turns out to be true the Baker and Butler are released, the Baker is executed and the Butler is made Pharaoh's butler again. Pharaoh is plagued by nightmares and none of his wise men can interpret them. Joseph interprets Pharaoh's dream as a sign of an upcoming famine. Joseph is made a very powerful man and is renamed Zaphenath-panaeh which means, " God speaks and he lives ", in Egyptian. He makes sure one fifth of all of the grain is stored so Egypt can survive.
The famine spreads all throughout the middle east and even Joseph's family suffers. Not recognizing him, Joseph's 10 older brothers come and ask Joseph for grain. Joseph puts his brothers to a test and makes them bring Benjamin. Joseph makes sure his favorite cup is put in Benjamin's sack of grain. To Joseph's surprise, his older brothers offer themselves in Benjamin's place so that their father won't suffer again. Joseph reveals himself and forgives his brothers. Jacob soon reunites with his favorite son. All of his family is moved to Egypt.
- Robert Harper played Joseph from age 17 to 30. The 37 and 40 year old Joseph is played by Anton Lesser, who later voiced Herod Antipas in The Miracle Maker.
- In the Bible, Joseph marries Potiphar's daughter Asenath and has two sons, Manasseh and Ephraim.
- In the Bible, he had a dream that the sun, the moon, and 11 stars were bowing to him, representing his father, mother and brothers (this dream is referred to by Levi in the series). He also had another dream where 10 bundles of grain bowed to him. Each bundle represented his older brothers
- He lived to be 110 years old. After his death the Israelites were enslaved.
- He is the Great Grandson of Abraham.